Dessert Cuisine: Italian
Calories: 490 kcal
Author: Chef Dennis Littley
Ingredients 6 large egg yolks 1 cup sugar (201 gm) 1 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese - room temperature (284 gm) 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (420 ml) 2 -7 oz packages Italian Lady fingers (Savoiardi) 1 cup cold espresso or strong coffee (240 ml) 1/2 cup coffee flavored Liqueur optional (120 ml) 1 ounce cocoa for dusting (30 gm) Instructions
1. Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. This is your sabayon, remove from the heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored. Let cool.
2. Add Mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks.
4. Gently fold the whipped cream in the mascarpone sabayon mixture and set aside. The mascarpone does not have to be at room temperature, but it will help it mix in easier if it is. Take it out of the refrigerator as you gather ingredients to make the recipe.
5. Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the lady fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
6. Arrange the lady fingers in the bottom of a 9 inch square baking dish (or container similarly sized)
7. Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the lady fingers.
8. Repeat process with another layer of lady fingers and cream. 9. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
9. Sieve/sprinkle a thin layer of the cocoa powder on top.
Okay now for my twist...
Instead of mascarpone cheese, which is frightfully expensive, you can just double the whipped cream (I use 3 small KDD red whipping cream whip until thick).
And I use 1 additional small cream heated and then add in 250grms of dark chocolate (Al Seedawi is fine) and a tablespoon of powder sugar this will give you a chocolate sauce which you can pour onto the layer of sponge fingers before you add the cream/sabayon mix.
I add 1 teaspoon of sugar to my strong black coffee (1 and a 1/2 tsp of instant coffee per cup of boiling water, you may need more than one cup depending on how much your sponge fingers soak up).
1 more box of only whipped cream for piping on the very top or spread it on. Then sprinkle with cocoa powder.
So that's 1.250 ltrs total of whipping cream. Which is why it's delicious
Top tip: Make sure everything has cooled (coffee, sabayon, chocolate) before using and layering.
Both recipes are fab! Enjoy!
Now you have 6 egg whites left over to make a fab Pavlova see next recipe.