Friday, May 26, 2017

My Sugar Addiction by Garry The Personal Trainer


The term “addiction” implies psychological dependence and thus is a mental or cognitive problem, not just a physical ailment. “Addiction” is often used synonymously with the term “dependence” OR ..


IF YOU WANT IT YOU GOTTA HAVE IT … But why do we have this addiction to sugar . 
Like most ‘fitty’ types I have a cheat day every now and again, but I’m not like the average Jo as when my cheat meal comes along I have to be wise in my choices . I can have sweet potato on my cheat meal and I’ll be happy munching away, if someone ( my guardian/ keeper) is with me and shares a piece of cake with me or gets me 1 croissant I’ll be ok , no problem … but ….
If you take that guardian away from me and leave me to my own devilish devices I’ll go RAMPANT
Something inside me says “go on have another” the little devil on my shoulder ties the angel up and controls me, I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help it , he makes me devour a massive M&S flapjack bucket in 5 minutes and then makes me inhale a 200g bar of chocolate and hazelnut … the pictures below show me when I fall off the wagon and the evil one takes over.. pic 1 is may 2015.. pic 2 is November 2015 ( it only took 9 weeks to become like this ) and pic 3 is when I eventually got my act together and stopped the sugar . 
IMG_20161012_153730.jpg
So the thing which makes us binge or constantly eat sweet sugary snacks, drinks, fruit juices, smoothie (the latter 2 is also to do with the fact that it’s been deemed as healthy, as if it’s healthy to have all the sugars from 5 fruits and blasted in a juicer or blender) and of course the cafe frappuccino with 2 squirts of caramel and cream, is not because we’re greedy and we just “want it”. It’s a chemical reaction which tells us we want it, we need it.  The reward centre in the brain tells us these things,  when the brain is constantly pounded with sugars the dopamine response is overwhelming and the brain likes it, some people’s brains (like mine like it a lot ) and it wants more, so we eat more and usually don’t stop till we’re feeling full or sick,  or both.  So to combat these CRAZY URGES TO BINGE I don’t eat the white deadly powder or anything that gives off that sweet taste on my own, I avoid it like the plague as as soon as I take a hit it goes straight to my senses and I lose all willpower . It’s not even a case of cutting down or changing the sweet source, honey,  dates,  sweeteners , they all have the same effect . The sweeteners because they just remind me of the taste and I’ll usually go out and find the real source . So now as a rule I only eat with someone who can have a tiny piece of cake and say”that’s enough” ( yes there are people out there) and in return I’ve managed to say no to an extra square as well.
TIPS FOR COMING OFF THE WHITE STUFF
#1 AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS .. don’t buy any, in fact, don’t even go down the biscuit isle . 
#2 THROW ALL DEADLY WHITE STUFF AWAY (DWS) : yep go into the kitchen  and bin everything,  wear a gas mask if needed to avoid the sweet smell 
#3 TAKE UP A HOBBY: Be active, do sport, any sport.
#4 TELL EVERYONE YOU’RE A SUGARHOLLIC: let everyone know that you can’t have any DWS. If they’re your true mates they’ll help you , and remind you anytime you look at a snickers.  
UPDATE TO THE BLOG…  Thurs 25th 
I’ve just been in Pret a Manger and been offered a dark chocolate bar on the house, and as I explained to him that I write things on the evils of sugar and my addiction , he still tried to give it to me on the house … My Angel prevailed and I walked out .. happy.  Dopamine reward sensor happy.  Not because of the sugar but because of a natural high of saying no the the demons inside 💪💪💪#kickedasstoday


LWDLIK - Thanks Garry I needed this pep talk. Starting day 1 of DWS purge.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Always great to hear from you :O)