Monday, March 19, 2012

Tackling Obesity in Kuwait and The Sad Parks Here in Kuwait



Above are a few of the published articles on obesity in Kuwait. 
But weight loss is not really rocket science now is it? 

Firstly, parental guidance and schools play a big part. My plea to schools would be remove 
the unhealthy snacks from the tuck shop immediately. There are many, many healthy options available. 

Secondly, we need shaded walkways along the seafront, better parks where kids will want to go and play. Not - as below - the sad, pathetic parks we have already. More emphasis and encouragement for sports and exercise is a must.

Salwa Park 2012
A sorry sight, damaged play equipment, no grass, broken seats and walls. 

Graffiti and decay everywhere


It was a beautiful afternoon and this park should have been teaming with kids playing football, rollerblading, flying kites. Many mums are too afraid to let their kids play here because of the dangers, sad decay and the groups of  teenagers that come in and cause problems.

















Broken climbing equipment, an accident waiting to happen

Rubbish greeting you at the entrance

The uninviting seats

Another broken bench.
I think those big forcep type frames are supposed to be for shades but for 6 years, at least, they have looked like this.

This could do with adressing.

My Kuwaiti child begs me daily to take her to this park next to her school. Would you want your child playing here?


4 comments:

  1. I know this, in Rumaithiya is practly the same. My son open his head in one of this seats. I wish I could tell someone what is going on in the parks of Kuwait, but I don´t know who!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalia
      Gosh that's terrible hope he's ok? They are scary places, never sure if the equipment is safe, lots of exposed rusty metal around and some strange looking men and youths in them. Altogether not a pleasant place to take yr kids :O( I will try to send this to the local MP.

      Delete
  2. This is sad.. Considering Kuwait is a rich country, they should do something about this. I know this is off topic but I've been to the Kuwait National Museum recently and all I can say is-- Kuwait can do so much better than that. They have so much money!

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you :O)