Friday, March 23, 2012

Another Over-Hyped Nail Salon = Not a Happy Bunny!

I received some vouchers for free mani or pedi or back massage so was delighted to go over to Salmiya, to a celebrated nail salon, to try it out. The receptionist asked which was my preferred free treatment I told her a pedi for me and a mani for my soon-to-be 9 year old princess.


The salon was gorgeous, pleasant staff, they served adorable free mini cupcakes and green tea (very nice touch). My manicurist was very sweet, a tad too talkative bordering invasive. I really didn't want to hear you worked in the house of an English family as a maid previously - whilst you are supposed to be cutting my cuticles. I'm not being picky but I really like my nail technicians to have some training if possible. Not her fault but the people who hired her need to get jiggy with it. I looked over the list of nail treatments many of them were over KD30! So I'm thinking I'll train up my maid and save me a ton of money.    


To some people in social media who have raved over this place; seriously, did just a free mani get you to over rate this place? 


The polish was streaky and uneven in colour when applied, I still have some rough cuticles and was surprised when the nail technician suddenly started removing my fingernail poilsh on my recently groomed hands. Strange! I quickly told her I'm pedi only, to which she said "no, it's ok." I thought how nice she's doing me a free mani too. I could see my daughter's feet were being done and thought the same, or that for kids the voucher entitled her to a mani and pedi as each didn't entail the same amount of work (cutting cuticles, sloughing the dead skin off).


I happily tipped the ladies and was leaving when the receptionist gave me a bill for KD12. For what? I reminded her of what I had requested when I came in, what I had thought a free voucher meant and what my manicurist had said when she started on my fingernails. Duh! Blank look on her face. Yes, she remembered but sorry it's already rung up. Finally after an indignant response from me she reduced it by KD3. So I still ended up paying KD9.


NEVER going back even tho I have two more vouchers. Lesson learned - stay with what you know, who you know and recommendations from frequent customers. I love you  Strands,  who have a Sunday special of 30% off manis and pedis  :OD


Oh, and to the Kuwaiti girl who got nasty with the staff when my daughter and I got offered cupcakes and green tea before she did. Telling the staff that she was here before "these." Seriously!? These, what the hell does that mean. It means your lack of class, education and your insecurities were obvious for all to see. My little stare had you feeling uneasy and I was not about to get into a shouting match across the salon, not my style. And schmoozing my daughter at the drying area to find out if she was a Kuwaiti and which family she was from was sad and laughable. So glad my baby has a very fine pedigree it put a concerned look on your face. LOL.


To anyone who wishes to send me freebies please know you will get a glowing review only if you deserve it. If you are sure of your business, service or product then I'd be more than happy to review it for you. LWDLIK@gmail.com.

Warning: I have high standards. 




13 comments:

  1. LOL!!!! The most amusing part was the one about the Kuwaiti girl who didn't get cupcakes. I'm not generalizing, but some Kuwaitis can be really arrogant (especially to minorities). Its sad.. Its true when they say "Money can't buy you CLASS".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.. many "nouveau riche" with no breeding. Have you made the Rocky Road yet?

      Delete
  2. Incredible! -- Hmmm........... trying to guess which salon now........
    Yes, I have a suspicion that a good number of manicurist/pedicurists originally arrived to Kuwait as household help until they changed their visa to a regular work visa. Had a similar experience like yours with an overly chatty manicurist who told me how sheworked as a maid for a family and then went on about the husband fell in love with her, made moves on her, etc..... blah, blah , blah... how she felt bad for the wife, and told her and then voluntarily left. -- then started asking me several private questions about my life.

    Another manicurist told me she learned her trade from watching You Tube videos on how to cut cuticles. Yay! I almost left the salon mid- way through my manicure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a big no-no. I'm very happy for them that they have better jobs but it's not info that should be shared with a client.

      Delete
  3. A few years ago, in the middle of a hair trim, my stylist proudly discussed how she worked in a hospital just a few months before getting her current job cutting hair. Ummm, surely she wasn't cutting patient's hair! I was immediately uneasy and just about the same time she chopped a 5 inch piece of hair from my head. I've still not found a person who can TRIM hair in this country. Sorry your salon experience was equally as horrible. I absolutely HATE the surprise charges as you're walking out the door. Unacceptable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I know I'm not alone. Trim is always a difficulty for some reason it's like they are deaf or tuned out. We should start refusing to pay for shoddy service that should get them hearing and their attention again.

      Delete
    2. Now I'm wondering why you even paid at all? Was there a manager there? You were a guest invited to write up a review and so what if they had already tallied up the receipt? Cancel it.

      Salons are getting seriously crazy -- just called a popular salon in Salmiya where I usually get my hair cut for 4 KD so I told a girlfriend about it and she wanted to go. I called the salon to make an appointment for tomorrow and they told me, uh.... but the cut will cost 8 KD! Why I asked? Oh, because you're booking an appointment. Walk-ins are 4KD. I swear it's like they make this stuff up as they go along -- must have been my American accent! Will cost you extra.... suckers! :-)

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear about your salon experience. There is nothing as bad as wasting time in an over hyped, expensive salon with "precious" customers. I have certainly tried a few of those places here. However, recently I went to Images Salon, just off the 4th ring road and had a great manicure and pedicure special offer for 12KD. Both the manicure and pedicure had lovely smelling scrubs, masques, creams and lots of clean equipment and towels, complete with endless cups of coffee, in a relaxed, calm environment. My lady was called Rosalene and she was excellent, really taking her time to make sure everything was just right. I would highly recommend her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will give them a try, thanks. I think it's the embarrassment of people thinking I'm a cheapskate that stops me from making a big old fuss plus not wanting to get the girls in trouble. I like my karma squeaky clean :O)

      Delete
  5. It would help us ladies out if you just told us the name of the place. Since you are just giving your honest opinion, what is there to hide?
    Many of us are newbies here and it's better to avoid these places, than waste our time searching around through the billions of "saloons" for what is actually good service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing to hide but not everyone's experience is the same and your own experience can vary each visit. I went to a salon which I was also disappointed in but actually had come highly recommended. Seems I just got the wrong girl on the wrong day according to other friends.
      Here are my tried and tested recommendations for mani/pedis : Strands Nail Bar (Fanar Mall basement, Salmiya), Glamour (York Building, Shaab) and cheap and cheerful Oriental (Baghdad St, Salmiya). Check Expat and the city blog or Desert Girl's blog for a longer list.

      Delete
  6. I had the most terrible experiance with LIa, she has no manners doesnt know how to talk to people. Extremely rude and doesnt know any hairdressing. beware of Lia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear that's not good. I will let Michelle, the owner, know. Are you sure you didn't contribute? ;0)

      Delete

Always great to hear from you :O)