Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Back to School/Beaded Braid Removal

Didn't feel too bad this morning, considering the time difference. We all woke up unassisted at 10am, no jet lag :O) Must have been the 9 hour sleep onboard. A first.


Getting myself ready to take daughter to school proved a little problematic. None of my clothes seemed to fit - three huge meals a day on holiday will do that to you - and my hair dryer must be in the missing suitcase that Kuwait Airways lost along with most of my summer shoes. Considered wearing my husbands flip-flops again. My shoe broke in JFK and had to wear husband's Tommy Bahamas sandals all the way back to Kuwait, only 2 sizes too big LOL, did try airport but JFK terminal 4 has the worst airport shopping ever- and no shoes. Finally found a pair that I haven't seen in years that almost matched my outfit if the lights are dim, you are colour-blind and squint.


Got to meet my daughter's new teacher - not sure what she thought of my hair and shoes but I liked her -and they even let my daughter stay for the rest of the day even though she was not in uniform and wearing a head full of beaded braids - highly unconventional for any English school in Kuwait. But much appreciated by her mumma.


Spent all evening undoing the braids. They took 5 ladies an hour to do. Were a nightmare to remove. At first I thought they'd glued the beads on but realised they were secured with tightly bound rubber bands. Was tempted to cut them all off and give her a crew cut but didn't want to be on the Oprah show (or it's equivalent) in 10 years time explaining why I had traumatised my child; decided not to.


Thank you to S who popped by for a coffee and got lured into unbraiding hair for 3 hours x

2 comments:

  1. bad hair day?
    stick a hijab on it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon, there are times when I think life could be a lot easier in PJs, abaya and hijab ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you :O)