Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Loveliness of Ramadan











A gift from the complex owners. Every year all the residents of the complex receive lovely Ramadan gifts. This year's treat was a basket full of nuts and dried fruits. It's such a really nice gesture and gives such a good impression of the spirit of Ramadan. Thank you SA and family.

Last night was the first evening of my mother-in-law's Ramadan receptions (istaqbal) she sits for four nights and guests come to wish her 'mubarak allacom alshahar' or congratulations on the holy month of Ramadan. Boukhour is burned, fresh juices, tea, Arabic coffee and the most amazing sweets are served. A little chit-chat with all the gorgeously decked out ladies. And a chance for my MIL to introduce her granddaughter's foreign mumma to the world. It's a bit like a debutante tea party, quite overwhelming ;O)

I had been fretting over what to wear, finding a suitable darar (Kuwaiti dress traditional worn during Ramadan), accessories, shoes, etc, forgetting that the first day is for family only.

I asked my daughter in the car on the way over if she had brought her camera to which she replied " I have everything I need to survive; water, nuts, camera and lipstick." She's 8.

It was so nice to spend the evening with just my wonderful family, laughing (my in-laws are famous for that), seeing how their kids have grown and the absolute pleasure kids give to all.

A cousin's young grandson was asked if he loved his grandfather's sister (my MIL), he said " I love all people, even those in jail."

And there really is nothing cuter than a young boy wearing his first dishdasha, deftly balancing the qutra and egal on his head and doing his utmost to behave like his dad.

Happy Ramadan All xxx









No comments:

Post a Comment

Always great to hear from you :O)