Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mission: Permanent Hair Removal



Did this today at Heath Care Clinic in Bneid Al Gar, I thought it will be a painful and lengthy procedure but happily I'm wrong. Took approx 20 mins to do underarms and half legs, didn't feel much at all other than a tingling. Have booked to do the second treatment in a month's time so I'm on the road to hairless legs and underarms :OD
Can highly recommend Editta at the clinic. Underarms are KD 25 and half leg KD 60. You will need follow up sessions but the price decreases considerably with each session.

Laser Hair Removal

If efforts to remove unwanted hair leave you with bumps, nicks, burns, or the hassles of repeated shaving, tweezing, or waxing, laser hair removal may be an option worth considering.

Laser hair removal is a technique that uses beams of highly concentrated light to penetrate the hair follicles. The light is absorbed by pigment in the hair follicles and destroys the hair within the follicle. Next to Botox injections, laser hair removal is the most commonly performed cosmetic procedure in the U.S.


Benefits of Laser Hair Removal

Lasers are useful for removing unwanted hair from the face, leg, arm, underarm, and bikini line as well as other areas where unsightly hair is a problem.


Benefits of laser hair removal include:

Precision. Lasers can selectively target dark, coarse hairs while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.

Speed. Each pulse of the laser takes a fraction of a second and can treat many hairs at the same time. The laser can treat an area approximately the size of a quarter every second. Small areas such as the upper lip can be treated in less than a minute, and large areas, such as the back or legs, may take up to an hour.

Predictability. Ninety percent of patients have permanent hair loss after an average of three to five sessions.


How to Prepare for Laser Hair Removal

Laser hair removal is more than just “zapping” unwanted hair; it is a medical procedure that requires training to perform and carries potential risks. Prior to having laser hair removal, you should thoroughly check the credentials of the doctor or technician performing the procedure.

Once you have planned laser hair removal, you should limit plucking, waxing, and electrolysis for six weeks before treatment. That's because the laser targets the hairs' roots, which are temporarily removed by waxing or plucking. You should also avoid sun exposure for six weeks before and after treatment. Sun exposure decreases the effectiveness of laser hair removal and increases the risk of complications following treatment.


What to Expect During Laser Hair Removal

Just before the procedure, the hair that will be undergoing treatment will be trimmed to just a few millimeters above the skin surface, and the laser equipment will be adjusted according to the color, thickness, and location of the hair being treated, as well as your skin color.

Depending on the laser or light source used, you and the technician will need to wear appropriate eye protection. It will also be necessary to protect the outer layers of the skin with a cold gel or special cooling device. This will help the laser light penetrate the skin.

Next, the operator will give a pulse of light to the treatment area and watch the area for several minutes to make sure the optimal parameters were used and to check for adverse reactions before proceeding. Depending on the area being treated, treatment time may range from 15 minutes to an hour.

When the procedure is completed, you may be given ice packs or aloe gels, anti-inflammatory creams or lotion, or water to relieve any discomfort. You may be scheduled for your next treatment four to six weeks later. Treatments will be repeated until hair growth stops.


Update: Got a tan on holiday (a big no-no whilst doing this treatment) and so haven't followed up treatments and over the past 2 months getting some regrowth. Meanwhile I may have found a cheaper solution for when the tan wears off with the Phillips Lumea [link].



17 comments:

  1. From what I know laser hair removal doesn't provide permanent effects. This is the main reason why many patients aren't satisfied with their results. When I did my first laser hair removal Toronto treatment, the doctor explained me that the result will be long lasting but not permanent as I heard before. So even if the myth is busted in this case, laser hair removal remains the only solution for long lasting results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kev, thanks for the clarification. I've seen the results of friends who've had these treatments and they are FANTASTIC. Yes, you need to do follow up, Editta told me for lighter skin (less hairy) patients maybe 3-4 sessions. There is a chance of slight hair growth due to hormones, which varies from person to person. But truly the results are amazing from this particular procedure. Older methods have been improved upon and maybe that's where the difference lies?
    And I haven't seen anyone that's had the treatment more than 4-5 years ago but any regrowth can be lasered again. Far superior method to the torture women go thro daily or fortnightly with shaving, waxing, threading, etc. IMHO :OD

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 08, 2011

    I had laser treatment on my eyebrows, upper lip, and underarms about 3 years ago. I underwent the recommended amount of treatments. Some hair still grows, but the darker hairs are virtually all gone. The physician explained to me that the laser is attracted to the pigment in darker and thicker hair. Therefore, one with darker hair will see better results; however, the darker the hair, the more painful the procedure. It was more like stinging needles than tingling for me. I was going to get my legs done, but changed my mind after experiencing that level of pain. Just something for those darker haired women to be aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anon, I'm a brunette but the hair due to shaving, plucking, waxing has grown back very dark so I'm hoping for good results. Pain level seems to vary from person to person. Personally I found it quite painless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there

    Does anyone know of a good place in Kuwait where I can get electrolysis done?

    Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anon

    Try the clinic above.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so we have any place where we can get it like lifetime in case it grows back in Kuwait?? and what could be charges for facial laser??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!!! About Laser hair removal, how ar ethe price at this particular clinic?
    I did some research lately since I'm very interested myself but some clinics gave me crazy prices i.e. 150KD half leg :/ It was a NO-GO of course...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prices are average but you really need to spend a lot to have complete hair removal. Mine started to grow back :O(

      Delete
    2. You have to remove it many times till it stop growing :)

      Delete
  9. I have been doing laser for a very long time. It works good on very think hair and light skin people. If you have thin hair like on your face, laser will not help. You will have to do it probably for the rest of your life. Do check on American electrolysis, much safer, cheaper and 100% effective option.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how much charge for upper lip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure check the link in the first opening sentence and give them a call. Keep in mind you may need to go a few times for treatment.

      Delete
    2. Try Blooming Clinic in Hawally!
      After many months of trial-and-error and wasted money I found them! As you well know, there are hundreds of places in Kuwait , some good, some not so good. To find a nice place (price/results/hygiene), you will have to shop around a bit. I know I did. They do laser in hotels, even in nail salons here ... I'm a bit more cautious and I would rather pay more in a clinic than regretting afterwards... I looked around a lot, tried a few clinics, some super famous and horribly expensive, others less known. Most of them will even charge you 30-45 kd to open a file!!
      I got a massive allergy in the expensive one, no results or irritations in others. So for a year, I gave up the laser dream.
      At Blooming they use the laser with the cooling-off system; for me this is the only one that works (I had tried the gel one and for me it's a mess, irritating, no results and a wa ste of money!). The laser with cooling system worked really well, after 6-8 sessions spaced over 2 years I can say that the unwanted hair is literally gone (I'm fair skinned with black hair). True, there is some regrowth but it's so fine I barely see the hair. In time, you may need a maintenance session here and there.

      Regarding the prices mentioned here on this blog - they are outright outrageous - a rip-off! please call a few places, or even visit a few places before you make the decision. Blooming clinic for me is the best of both worlds:
      - reasonable prices,
      - great results and hygiene,
      - plus a very very pretty place.
      When you call ask about discounts ; they sometimes have them. Of course, if you become a regular the prices will be lower, I always like a sign of appreciation ...

      Tel. 22615264
      Good luck. You can get rid of unwanted hair - trust me - i would say 90 %.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the info. I found mine grew back, but I wish they had told me that it doesn't work on fair hair :O(

      Delete
    4. it wasn't easy for me either, true me!
      As far as I know laser works with fair hair, but you need more sessions , at least that's what a friend of mine did and what the technician explained. There are different laser machines for different types of skin and hair (and I sure tried a few!!! some are just commercial, no good). For me, the laser with gel was just a headache and a waste of money, it did not work at all! The cooling laser machine (Candela) worked really well.
      I usually ask a ton of questions and then check online. if the technician is good, she will certainly have the answers for you, not just talking your money! call Blooming (I cannot recommend another place), maybe they have the right machine for you - the laser sessions are on sale now for Mother's Day! good luck

      Delete
    5. I thought the info would be useful, especially for us expats who are trying to find our way here :)

      Delete

Always great to hear from you :O)