Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Mother-in-Law

Had a lovely afternoon yesterday with my adorable mother-in-law. We have a family get together every Thursday but sometimes I pop by and we have breakfast, lunch or just tea together and I really enjoy myself. She is such a wise, interesting old lady. Very open-minded, extremely kind and thoughtful. She has a charm and magnetism that is so very rare.

So, fortunately, yesterday my niece was there to help translate (I manage quite nicely usually but it does help when I get the full picture). Oh, we did laugh to hear about my MIL's youth, marriage offers and how her husband (God bless his soul) used to try and catch her eye before they were married.

She is over 80 years old, she won't tell anyone her real age not even doctors, her health is not always good but, for sure, laughter is her best medicine. She has the sharpest memory for names and family tree (a hobby of old Kuwaiti ladies here) it is quite amazing to hear her roll off names that others in their 40's have long forgotten. I do love her dearly, as do all her devoted family.

When I was first pregnant with my daughter I had wanted to choose an unusual name but my husband really wanted to call our child after his mother. I am so very glad we did.

I try to avoid all the weddings, receptions, tea parties etc. And only do close family.
# 1. Because I don't have time.
# 2. I'd need a new wardrobe every week.
But if my MIL calls me then I know it's important to her that I go, and along I trot.

I remember when I attended my first Kuwaiti wedding she sat me next to her on the sofa, closest to the bride and groom, and introduced me to everyone who came to greet/congratulate her at the wedding party. She had the biggest proudest smile on her face whilst introducing her new daughter-in-law 'me' to all; it touched my heart and from that moment on... I've been  smitten.


6 comments:

  1. I have only had the pleasure of meeting her a couple of times, she has a lovely smile & sounds like such a wonderful lady, very wise & kind much like her son Salem.
    Your ever loving sister Sass xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sass, Yes she is. I'm truly blessed with a fabulous sister too. Sometimes riches are not in your bank account :OD So looking forward to our holiday xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. some MILS are real good
    my MIL reminds me of my granny - same kind of life, born before cars, could read and write but soap operas were her thing, simple minded but happy, joyous and giving
    ditto about weddings - most that i go to (that haven't been many in almost 20years) require me to do minimum amount of make up, my best outfit (good only enough to be seen through a partially open albaya) and an appearance of 1 hour at most - yawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anon, We got lucky in the MIL lottery there are some horror stories out there :OD
    I am very jealous that you get away with minimal for weddings. Wish I had that kind of confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwww that's so nice ... I'm an American male married to a Kuwaiti woman and I just adore my wife's mother and grandmother :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Randy, Love it. I've started coming across more male foreigners/westerners married to Kuwaiti girls. Most families have a token female foreigner but not so many male foreigners. Did you meet your wife here? Any kids yet? Be careful those old ladies will fatten you up in no time :OD
    I'm hoping to start documenting my MIL's stories and biography. They are so very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you :O)