Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Lorry Driver Held After 24 Kuwaitis Discovered Hiding at Harwich Port, United Kingdom

[link]
10/1/2011. Gazette news, UK.
Kuwaiti stowaways have been caught at Harwich Port attempting to sneak into the UK in the back of a lorry. The 23 men and one 17-year-old boy were discovered by the UK Border Agency early on Monday morning when they arrived on a ferry from the Hook of Holland.
The driver of the vehicle has been arrested on suspicion of facilitating illegal immigration.
On Monday night the 23 men were being transferred to an immigration removal centre, while the teenager was due to be passed to Essex County Council social services.

LWDLIK- How strange? Have to agree with a comment I saw which read..
"Kuwait is an extremely rich little country, with a welfare state which is more generous than ours, and guaranteed jobs for all. So why would 24 Kuwaiti citizens want to come to the UK hidden in the back of a lorry?"
It's possible they have forged passports or maybe travelled via Kuwait but very unlikely to be Kuwaitis..

8 comments:

  1. Or maybe they are Bidoon, poor things if so.

    And you should go sleep now :)

    Bring back the black

    EB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi EB, Yes very likely. They may have just won the immigrant lottery, amazing these poor illegal immigrants pass thro all those other European countries to get to the UK.
    I was wondering who was reading this at this time of the night/morning. I can't sleep and what are you doing up?
    No more black :OD
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray fajr around 5:45. I only sleep 4-5 hrs a day and not continues... though we have separate rooms. I do catch up on my sleep in the weekends if am lucky... but some times it goes for weeks with just 2-3hrs sleep a day! Long story :)

    I do have some research medicine that can make me happy, hungry and sleepy... but only use it when I have to.

    Had you found a good place that offers good eggs Benedict, I would sleep early to wake up and go have it.


    Again, bring back the black... I'll take it to safat square if I have to

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure they were bidoon people from Kuwait. They probably paid someone to transport them into the UK and then claim political asylum.

    Wouldn't it be less of a stain on the reputation of Kuwait to do something to fix the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ EB WOW! Not sure whether I could cope on that little sleep. I barely function on 7-8 hours LOL. I do love the quiet at that time of the morning tho. Did I tell you of Bonne Pain at Bida'a and Avenues for eggs Benedict? It's not bad.

    @ DG I agree..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember you told my about a place, and it turned out they serve it with sour cream and not hollandaise sauce. The Avenues, well I never been there before, actually, I never been to sharq, fanar, marina..wait, i never been to anything after zahra (comfort shoes). Yeah another WOW!

    @ DG, though reputation matters, but humanity should matter more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi EB, Yes of course that's extremely unusual. May I ask why? What nationality are you? I'm very curious? I had assumed an American married to a Kuwaiti and has become a practising Muslim, am I wrong? What do you do with all that time? Do you write/blog?

    @ DG Desperately need to solve bedoon issue as some of those poor people are forced to find other means to support themselves which may not be legal.

    ReplyDelete

Always great to hear from you :O)